Discussion Post

Do you feel that Americans who burn the American flag should lose their rights to US citizenship?

In the article, “Trump Calls for Revoking Flag Burners’ Citizenship. Court Rulings Forbid It” by Charlie Savage, Trump says that people who burn the American Flag should lose citizenship or be put in jail. In my own opinion I think it should be legal and as it says in the article ” the act was a form of political expression protected by the First Amendment.” It is not illegal to burn books but there was a big fight about that. People are allowed to do what they want, it is a free country. As long as no one is getting injured and it doesn’t effect my life then people should be free to do what they believe in. People have a choice to be in America. Taking away someone’s citizenship is going way far, a bit of consequence should be valid. Community service is a great example that Elissa brought up. If flag burning is protected by the first amendment then there should be little to no consequences.